Thursday, November 09, 2006

I used to take my kids for swimming lessons on Saturday mornings at the YMCA. One Saturday (while waiting for my kids) I was "skipping rope" in the gym. I started to analyse the YMCA "logo" painted on the floor below me.
The bold capital “Y” was missing a right arm. Instead, there was an equal sided triangle, with the words “Body, Mind, Spirit” printed on it. The philosophy of the YMCA “kicked in”...a balance of body, mind and spirit!
I know people who seem to have mastered “two” of these components, but seldom all three.

There IS a time in our lives when we are “naturally” at this “point of balance”; as young children! Around the ages of 5-7, we have a large degree of mobility, enough so as to “ride a bike or climb a tree”. Furthermore, we delight in helping to “paint the fence, or make a cake” or better yet, “make a sand castle” or ANYTHING new to learn. We are in balance and enjoy a "wonder-full" vibrance and spirit. As we grow older, we tend to lose that balance!

The “yin yang” symbol is another example of balance. The ultimate goal of “tai chi” is to balance our own “yin and yang” energies. Learning tai chi at an early age helps to maintain this natural balance of body, mind and spirit. The good news is, should our lives become unbalanced...we CAN find that child-like balance again! It's never too late.

No comments: