Saturday, August 04, 2007

Joni Mitchell
Before embarking on a full time music career I was a student at the Alberta College of Art, in Calgary. Originally, it was my intention to become a full time graphic artist, and to further pursue my “love” for drawing & sketching.

At the time I was also performing with a rock ‘n’ roll band on the week-ends. It was a great way to earn “gas money” and a little extra cash. At some point however, I decided that I wanted to play music as a career and keep drawing & sketching as a hobby, so...I asked to meet with Stan Perrot (who was the head of the art college) for some advice on what to do.

Stan Perrot shared an interesting story with me.
Apparently, another student had approached him with the same dilemma about 6-7 years previously. Her name was Joni Mitchell. As I understand it, Joni Mitchell was performing in the pubs and coffee houses around Calgary, while working diligently with her passion for art and painting.

It got to the point that Joni Mitchell was experiencing so much success with her music that she could no longer “juggle” both music and school and she decided to “give her all” to the music. Well, I guess we all know how that turned out!

The best part is that Joni Mitchell somehow still managed to find time to paint, as she has “adorned” many of her album covers with her excellent paintings!

No comments: