Monday, November 13, 2006

From 1978-1980 I lived in Swan Hills, Alberta...working as a carpenter’s helper.
At about 2:00 a.m. one winter night I was walking home from a social event.
There was no-one around and the “northern lights” were making their best effort to attract my attention.
I stood there watching these multi-coloured lights "swirl" across the night sky as if they were “showing off” to me. As they changed into a new shape, every few seconds (colours shifting at the same pace) I remember laughing and calling out, "I can't believe this,...I can't believe this".
There was not a sound anywhere. No sirens, no honking horns. Just a stillness...and this "ballet" of spectacular lights. It was like lying in a bed while someone was changing the sheets. These “blanket-layers-of-light” gently floating over me.
I may never find words to do that moment justice. The most incredible light show I have ever seen. My own private showing!

No comments: